The big game is days away, and it doesn’t matter who you’re rooting for: the typical Super Bowl party is rife with potential dietary pitfalls. Fortunately, I have some great low-carb game-day tips that will help you win even if your team doesn’t.
If you’re hosting the party, you’re in control of the menu. To make entertaining easy, focus on dishes that you can make ahead and that are self-serve and require minimal utensils.
Hit the store for these easy low-carb Super Bowl dishes:
- Cheese and meat platters
- Veggie trays (low carb dip recipe)
- Antipasto trays (olives, peppers, marinated artichokes hearts and mushrooms, fresh mozzarella and tomatoes)
- Relish trays
- Shrimp cocktail
Tip: Ditch the plastic tray that your store-bought food came on and serve it on your own glass or football-themed platters and dishes.
You can whip up the following low-carb Super Bowl recipes from scratch. They, along with many other delicious low-carb recipes, are found in our Recipes
Tip: All these dips go great with veggies.
Tip: If you have a crock-pot or two, you can cook the meatballs and chili in advance.
Tip: For your guests who aren’t living a low-carb lifestyle, you can offer a Meatball Slider option. Simmer a batch of Baked Meatballs in spaghetti sauce and serve with slider buns and slices of mozzarella cheese.
If you’re going to a Super Bowl party, you still have plenty of options that won’t pile on the pounds or blow through your net carb quota:
- Review your game-day strategy. If there is one food you simply can’t resist, allow yourself one very small serving, and leave it at that. If you know even that one small serving will open the floodgates to a carb free-for-all, resolve to stick with low-carb options.
- Load up before the game. Have a filling low-carb snack or meal before you head to the party. You can try an Atkins bar or shake, or one of our new Atkins frozen meals. This way you won’t be starving, and makes it easier to resist temptation.
- Play the offense. Offer to bring a veggie tray or meat and cheese tray, and/or prepare one or two of the tasty low-carb Super Bowl-friendly recipes listed previously. Knowing you will have a few low-carb choices that you love makes it much easier to enjoy the party (and the game) without guilt or hunger.
- Did you fumble? Make sure your next meal is a low-carb one. Get back in the weight-loss game by planning your next week of meals and snacks. And add in a little exercise to give yourself an extra boost.