A chaffle is a low carb or keto friendly waffle made with an egg and shredded cheese. Pour the mixture in that waffle iron that just might have gathered dust on a shelf in your pantry (or in a mini-waffle maker) and enjoy this delicious crunchy and cheesy take on the traditional waffle. Chaffles are a low carb or keto friendly option for breakfast or even lunch at work!
My tips for making the best chaffles:
- A basic chaffle is made with one large egg and ½ cup shredded mozzarella. Whisk together and pour in a waffle iron or half the batter in a mini-waffle maker and cook until crisp. Remove and repeat with the other half if you’re using a mini-waffle maker. Top with sugar-free syrup and a pat of good butter.
- If you want a fluffier, bread-like texture, you can add one teaspoon of coconut flour or almond flour, as well as baking soda, which adds bubbles to the chaffle batter, making it less dense.
- If you want a crispier chaffle, let it cook longer or sprinkle cheese on the waffle iron before you add the batter and then more cheese on top before you close the lid.
- A mild cheese like mozzarella lets the waffle flavor of your chaffle shine but you can experiment with other cheeses depending on the type of chaffle you’re making:
- Monterey Jack
- Colby Jack
- Pepper Jack
- Mild Cheddar and Sharp Cheddar
- White Cheddar Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
- In addition to traditional sweet chaffles, there are plenty of savory selections, such as a Garlic Bread-Style Chaffle. You can also:
- Substitute a chaffle as bread for any sandwich, such as BLTs, chicken or tuna salad or even a breakfast sandwich.
- Use a chaffle in place of a hotdog, bratwurst or hamburger bun.
- Make a chaffle taco: Use a Mexican-blend shredded cheese in place of mozzarella. Add some chili powder and a dash of salt. You can use coconut flour and baking soda for a lighter chaffle “shell”. As soon as you take your chaffle out of the waffle maker, place in between spaces on an upside-down muffin tin to form a “taco shell” shape. Fill with your favorite taco fillings.
Try these sweet fall-flavored chaffle recipes: