As I’ve said in my book, Eat Right, Not Less, no matter how “good” you are when it comes to holiday temptations, the reality is that you’ll probably take in a few extra carbs. The best way to deal with that is to get up the next morning and get back on track. The worst thing you do is wallow in guilt and decide you’ve blown it…
With 4th of July coming up, this is the time to enjoy family, friends and fireworks, plus some favorite foods. If there isn’t an Atkins-friendly alternative, enjoy a little bit of the real thing, and make sure your next meal or snack is low carb.
Fortunately, I have some low carb 4th of July swaps (and low carb recipes) that will add fireworks to any 4th of July barbecue, dinner or picnic you are attending:
- Pass on the potato chips, nosh on deviled eggs or dip fresh veggies in this Creamy Sundried Tomato and Goat Cheese Dip (which you can make up to a week in advance).
- Skip the potato and pasta salads and fill your plate with fresh veggies and salad. Going to a potluck or hosting your own gathering? Try this Cauliflower Potato Salad or Veggie Kebabs.
- Ban the buns and wrap your burgers and brats in romaine lettuce leaves. Plus you can feast on grilled chicken, fish and steak.
- Finish your meal with fresh fruit!
- Go easy on the booze and stay hydrated with no-sugar and no-calorie flavored sparkling water.
Finally, check out these 7 Low Carb Red, White and Blue 4th of July Recipes for a full meal featuring a fruity drink, burgers and baby back ribs, coleslaw and three (yes, I said three!) low carb desserts. You can’t go wrong with Flag Cake as your low carb grand finale!