You’ve probably been cooking a lot lately. I know I have! Low carb and keto-friendly cooking has its advantages because it gives you control over your ingredients and portions, plus you can plan for leftovers. With that being said, sometimes we all need a break from all that cooking. While you can’t grab a meal at your favorite local restaurant right now, you can still support your local restaurant with a to-go meal or delivery. Here’s how you can make healthy low carb and keto-friendly choices “eating out” when you’re ordering in:
- Since you’ll be ordering your meal in advance, you have the advantage of reviewing the menu online and making a good, low carb choice instead of a not-so-healthy “impulse buy” at the restaurant.
- The other advantage of ordering in? You have completely distanced yourself from the complimentary breadbasket or bottomless chips and salsa that were always so hard to resist!
- Look for poultry, meat or fish that has been grilled, broiled, or roasted.
- Steer clear of food that is described as “crispy” or “fried”.
- Swap your side of French fries, mashed potatoes or rice for a side salad or steamed or roasted veggies.
- Play it safe with a salad. Just be sure to order dressing that has an oil-and-vinegar base, whether French, Italian or Greek. Mayo is fine, as is blue-cheese dressing, which is either mayo- or, preferably, sour-cream-based. Get it on the side for portion control and ditch any croutons.
- Order the burger if you want. Just ditch the bun and pair it with a side salad.
- Practice portion control. Just because you’re picking up your meal to go or having it delivered, restaurant portions seem to be just as big as usual and may easily feed two or do double duty as leftovers. Split your meal with a family member or immediately put half away in the fridge. For all of you who always forgot your “doggie bag” at the restaurant, problem solved!
- If you’re out numbered and the family is pining for pizza, stick with one small slice if you can’t resist it and round out the rest of your meal with a salad.
- Make your meal special. Instead of eating out of take-out containers, set the table and plate your meal properly.
Whether you’re craving sushi, pasta, enchiladas or more, my low carb and keto-friendly dining out tips for cuisines around the world still apply when you’re dining in: