Prep Time: 10 MInutes
Cook Time: 2 Hours and 45 Minutes
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
5 pounds boneless beef chuck stew meat, cut in 1½ -inch cubes
2 teaspoons kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons virgin olive oil or canola oil, divided
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 tablespoons ancho chile pepper powder or Mexican-style chili powder
1 (14½-oz.) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
¾ cup dry red wine or chicken broth
4 large roasted garlic cloves, minced
Cooking evaporates alcohol, which is why this recipe is suitable for Induction despite the red wine. But feel free to use chicken broth instead. Jarred roasted garlic cloves can be found in the produce section of most supermarkets.
1. Heat oven to 325°F.
2. Toss beef with salt and pepper. Heat 1½ teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over high heat. Add one-third of the beef and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
3. Transfer to a bowl and repeat two more times with beef and oil.
4. Add the last 1½ teaspoons oil to Dutch oven and cook onion until lightly browned. Stir in chile powder, tomatoes, wine and garlic; bring to a simmer. Return beef and accumulated juices to Dutch oven.
5. Cover and bake 2½ hours, stirring once halfway through cooking time, until beef is very tender.
6. Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, or green onions (optional).