Mediterranean Pizza Recipe
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Phase: Phase 1
Use the Atkins recipe of choice to make pizza dough for the crust and Basic Tomato Sauce; you will need 1 cup sauce. In this recipe we have used the Almond and Parmesan Pizza Crust recipe but you could also use the Almond Thin and Crispy Pizza Crust if you are in Phase 3 or higher, Flax Meal Pizza Crust or the Soy Flour Pizza Crust. Most of these come in at around the same NC so they can be interchanged. Note that all but the thin and cripsy crust are acceptable for Phase 1 (but be wary if you are in Induction as all but the flax meal crust contain nuts which are best avoided during that period).
- Make the crust of choice. Prebake crust for 12-15 minutes at 375°F.
- Cook crumbled Italian sausage (remove from casings if necessary) in a skillet over medium high heat until cooked through. Drain off excess oil and set aside.
- Prepare eggplant by chopping into 1/2-inch pieces then sprinkle on 1/4 tsp salt, toss to coat and allow to sit in a collander for 10 minutes. Blot off excess water with a paper towel after 10 minutes and set aside. Thinly slice the yellow pepper.
- Spread sauce over baked crust then top evenly with sausage, eggplant, sliced yellow peppers and basil. Finish by dropping chunks of goat cheese over the surface.
- Increase oven temperature to 400°F and bake topped crust until cheese is softened, about 10 minutes. Makes 8 slices.
Whether you’re feeding a family or cooking for one, you can update the serving settings above to reveal the required amount of ingredients.