Whole Grain Pie Crust Recipe
Cook Time: 22 Minutes
Phase: Phase 3
0 1/3 cup 100% Stone Ground Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
0 1/3 cup Whole Grain Soy Flour
2 oz Vital Wheat Gluten
3 tbsp Plain Wheat Germ
0 1/2 tsp Salt
0 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter Stick
1 tbsp Tap Water
- In a food processor, pulse flours, wheat gluten and germ, salt and butter until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Slowly add water and continue pulsing until the dough begins to come together. Turn onto a sheet of plastic wrap, form into a ball and cover with plastic. Flatten to a 7-inch disc and chill in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Roll dough out between 2 sheets of plastic wrap to a 12-inch circle (if needed, sprinkle on 1/2 teaspoon wheat gluten flour per side to facilitate rolling). Remove the top sheet of plastic and invert onto a 9-inch pie plate.
- Center dough and press onto the bottom and sides of plate. Remove plastic, roll under the edges and crimp decoratively. Chill in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Use unbaked crust as indicated in recipe of your choice. Or for a prebaked crust, preheat oven to 400°F. Prick the bottom and corners of the pie shell with a fork. Line the pie shell with foil, fill halfway with pie weights or dried beans and turn the foil over to cover the pastry edge.
- Bake for 16 minutes. Remove the foil and weights, cover loosely with foil and bake an additional 4 to 6 minutes or until golden. Cool on a rack before using. Makes 8 servings.
We love the idea of customizing this recipe to make it your own! If you add any ingredients, just be sure to keep an eye on net carbs.