Chocolate and Flan Layered Mini Cakes Recipe
Cook Time: 50 Minutes
Phase: Phase 2
2 1/2 tbsp Bob's Red Mill - Organic Whole Ground Flax Seed Meal
2 tsp Cocoa Powder (Unsweetened)
0 1/8 tsp Baking Soda
0 1/16 tsp Salt
1 oz Lily's Sugar Free Chocolate Chips
1 1/2 tablespoon Unsalted Butter Stick
1 tbsp Tap Water
2 tbsp Sour Cream (Cultured)
2 large Egg (Whole)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
3 tbsp Cream Cheese
0 3/4 cup Heavy Cream
0 2/3 cup Coconut Cream, canned
1 large Egg Yolk
2 tbsp Sucralose Based Sweetener (Sugar Substitute)
6 tbsp Torani Sugar Free Caramel Flavoring Syrup
DIRECTIONSNote: For best results, this recipe requires 6 hours of refrigeration before serving.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and adjust rack to the middle position. Grease six wells of a muffin tin.
- Combine the flax meal, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, combine the chocolate and butter. Microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring at each interval until melted; about 3 minutes total.
- Whisk together the water, sour cream, 1/2 egg (whisk one egg, then divide the mixture in half, reserving half for the flan to add to the other eggs) and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Add to the melted chocolate and stir until fully incorporated.
- Stir in flax mixture until just combined. Divide the batter equally among the six muffin wells.
- Combine the cream cheese, heavy cream, coconut milk, 1 1/2 eggs, egg yolk, granular sugar substitute and 1/2 tsp vanilla in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the flan mixture over the cake batter until almost filled to the top. Place muffin tin in a large roasting pan and fill roasting pan with hot water until it reaches halfway up the sides of the muffin wells.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean and the flan reaches 180°F. As it cooks the cake will rise to the top of the muffin tin and the flan will remain below, if the cake is done on top and it has cooked for at least 50 minutes the flan should be the correct temperature.
- Transfer the muffin tin to a wire rack and allow it to cool to room temperature, about 1 hour, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until fully set, about 6 hours or overnight.
- To release the cakes, place bottom of muffin tin in the same roasting pan used for cooking and fill with 1-inch of hot tap water; allow to sit for 1 minute. Gently turn muffin tin upside down to release the flan and carefully transfer each to serving plates.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon sugar-free caramel or maple syrup over the cakes before serving.
We love the idea of customizing this recipe to make it your own! If you add any ingredients, just be sure to keep an eye on net carbs.