Atkins Coconut Layer Cake Recipe
Cook Time: 22 Minutes
Phase: Phase 2
0 2/3 cup DRIED COCONUT
0 1/4 tsp SALT
8 large Egg (Whole)
1 tsp Baking Powder (Straight Phosphate, Double Acting)
0 2/3 cup Whole Grain Soy Flour
6 large Egg White (from 1 large egg= 33g)
1 1/2 cup Sucralose Based Sweetener (Sugar Substitute)
3 tsp Coconut Extract
2 cup Unsalted Butter Stick
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease two 8-inch cake pans; line bottoms with parchment paper; then grease the paper. Melt 1/2 cup butter and set aside. Place remaining butter (1 1/2 cups) on a plate, cut it into 1 Tbsp portions, and keep it at room temperature.
- With an electric mixer on high, beat whole eggs, 3/4 cup sugar substitute and 1 tbsp coconut extract until ribbons form, about 5 minutes.
- In three additions cup sift soy flour, baking power and salt over egg mixture; fold in with a rubber spatula to combine.
- Fold in 1/2 cup melted butter. Then pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 22 minutes until cake springs back in middle when lightly touched. Cool in pans on wire racks 5 minutes. Line racks with paper towels and invert cake layers. Gently peel off parchment and cool completely.
- For frosting: in a double boiler or a bowl placed over simmering water, whisk egg whites, 3/4 cup sugar substitute and salt until temperature reaches 130°F. Transfer whites to mixing bowl and beat on high speed until cool and fully whipped. Reduce speed to medium and beat in 1 1/2 cups room temperature butter 1 tablespoon at a time until well combined, thick and creamy, about 10 minutes - do not rush the process.
- Place one cake layer on serving plate. Mix 1 cup frosting with half the coconut (1/3 cup); frost bottom layer. Place top cake layer over bottom layer. Cover top and sides with remaining frosting and pat remaining 1/3 cup coconut over frosting. Optional: toast coconut (3-5 minutes at 350°F). Makes 12 servings.
We love the idea of customizing this recipe to make it your own! If you add any ingredients, just be sure to keep an eye on net carbs.