Ancho Macho Chili
Cook Time: 165 Minutes
Phase: Phase 1
- 5 lb Beef Top Sirloin (Trimmed to 1/8" Fat)
- 2 tsp Salt
- 0.5 tsp Black Pepper
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium (2-1/2" dia) Onions
- 2 tsp Garlic
- 3 tbsp Chili Powder
- 14.5 oz Red Tomatoes (with Green Chilies, Canned)
- 6 fl oz Red Table Wine
DIRECTIONSCooking evaporates alcohol, which is why this recipe is suitable for Induction despite the red wine. But feel free to use chicken broth instead. Jarred roasted garlic cloves can be found in the produce section of most supermarkets or simply mince a whole clove of garlic.
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- Season beef with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over high heat. Add one-third of the beef and brown on all sides, about 1 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a bowl and repeat two more times with beef and oil.
- Chop the onion and add to a Dutch oven preheated with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil. Cook onion and garlic until lightly browned. Stir in chile powder, tomatoes and wine; bring to a simmer. Return beef and accumulated juices to Dutch oven. Cover and bake 2 1/2 hours, stirring once halfway through cooking time, until beef is very tender. One serving is about 3/4-1 cup.