Atkins® tips and recipes for diabetic desserts are perfect for anyone living with type 2 diabetes or trying to decrease sugar consumption. Living with type 2 diabetes doesn’t mean entirely eliminating desserts from your diet. Instead, type 2 diabetics should focus on making healthier choices to satisfy a sweet tooth. Avoid blood sugar spikes and help regulate blood sugar levels by selecting low sugar and low carb dessert options.
Use the following suggestions below to discover low sugar desserts for those on a low carb way of eating to satisfy your sweet tooth while living with diabetes.
- Make fruit the star of your desserts as long as you’re not in Phase One of Atkins. Blueberries, raspberries, cantaloupe, and strawberries are all good lower carb fruit options.
- Look for sugar-free chocolate, syrups, gelatins and other baking ingredients when you grocery shop.
- Eliminate sugar-sweetened beverages, since these have been linked to higher obesity rates associated with type 2 diabetes. Learn more on how the Atkins® Induction Phase may help to improve glycemic control in diabetes here.
Please consult your physician before starting any diet to manage your diabetes.
4 Low Carb & Low Sugar Treats for Diabetics
Treat yourself to these low carb desserts on special occasions; or on average days, and be mindful of portion size and ingredients.
When you’re craving something sweet, try one of Atkins® low carb & low sugar dessert recipes for diabetics. They’re perfect dessert recipes for diabetics: they’re easy-to-make, no added sugar, low in naturally occurring sugars and carbs and can satisfy even the biggest sweet tooth:
- Coconut-Cashew Chocolate Truffles – These are a healthier alternative to traditional truffles that still taste indulgent.
- Chocolate and Flan Layered Mini Cakes – Sugar-free chocolate and sugar-free caramel make these flan cakes a great low-sugar dessert option.
- Chocolate-Covered Strawberries – Using sugar-free chocolate makes chocolate covered strawberries diabetic-friendly.
- Strawberry Granita – This cool dessert is made with strawberries, sugar substitute and fresh lemon juice for a healthy and refreshing dessert.