Chocolate-Mint Mousse Layer Cake Recipe
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Phase: Phase 3
8 Keto Chocolate Mint Mousse
1 cup Heavy Cream
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
0 1/2 oz Coffee (Instant Powder)
1 1/4 cup Whole Grain Soy Flour
0 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder (Unsweetened)
0 1/2 cup, halves Pecans
0 1/2 tsp Baking Powder (Straight Phosphate, Double Acting)
0 1/2 tsp Salt
1 cup Unsalted Butter Stick
1 cup Sucralose Based Sweetener (Sugar Substitute)
4 large Egg (Whole)
- Use the Atkins recipe for Chocolate-Mint Mousse, you will need to change the serving size to 8 for the recipe to have enough mousse for the cake.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease two 8 round cake pans with oil spray.
- In a small bowl, mix cream, vanilla and coffee. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together soy flour, cocoa, finely chopped pecans, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter with half of the sugar substitute until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Separate the eggs into yolks and whites. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Add heavy cream mixture and beat until well-blended. Turn mixer speed down to low, and slowly add dry ingredients, one third at a time, beating until just-combined. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes. Add remaining sugar substitute and beat until stiff peaks, about 1 more minute. Using a rubber spatula, fold whites into chocolate batter in three parts, combining thoroughly after each addition.
- Divide batter in prepared pans; smooth tops. Bake 20 minutes, or until cake springs back when touched in the middle. Cool in pans on racks 5 minutes; invert onto racks to cool completely, about 2 hours.
- To assemble cake: Cut off rounded tops of each cake. Place one cake layer on a serving plate, cut side down. Spread top with half of mousse filling, leaving a 1/2 border. Place cut side of the other cake layer down on top of the mousse, pressing gently, being careful not to let mousse squirt out. Top this with remaining mousse and swirl decoratively. Garnish with raspberries and mint leaves. Makes 8 servings.
We love the idea of customizing this recipe to make it your own! If you add any ingredients, just be sure to keep an eye on net carbs.