Burgundy Beef Stew (Boeuf Bourguignonne)
Cook Time: 150 Minutes
Phase: Phase 3
- 4 oz raw (yield after cooking) Bacon
- 3 tbsp Canola Vegetable Oil
- 48 oz Beef Chuck (Arm Pot Roast, Lean Only, Trimmed to 1/8" Fat, Select Grade)
- 2 clove Garlic
- 1.5 cup chopped Onions
- 0.67 cup chopped Carrots
- 1 stalk medium (7-1/2" - 8" long) Celery
- 16 fl oz Red Table Wine
- 2 can (14 oz), ready-to-serve Beef Broth, Bouillon or Consomme
- 1 tsp crumbled Bay Leaf
- 8 oz Mushroom Pieces and Stems
- 3 tsp Thyme
- 1 tbsp Parsley
- 0.76 serving All Purpose Low-Carb Baking Mix
- Season beef cubes with salt and pepper. Spread 1/4 cup baking mix in a baking dish and lightly coat cubes, tapping to remove any excess.
- In a large stock pot (or Dutch oven) over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, crumble, and set aside. Dice the onion and carrot, chop the celery and dice the garlic; set aside.
- Add oil to remaining bacon fat in pot. Over medium-high heat, brown beef cubes in batches. Remove beef from pot, and add white onion,carrot and celery and sauté over medium heat for about 8 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds, until aroma is released.
- Pour in wine and increase heat to high. Boil wine until reduced to 1 cup, about 5 minutes. Return beef and accumulated juices to pot. Pour in beef broth and add bay leaf. Reduce heat to low, cover partially and simmer 2 hours.Add mushrooms, thyme and parsley and continue cooking for another 30 minutes, until beef is fork-tender and sauce has thickened.
- Remove bay leaf, and serve with crumbled bacon.