Almond Torte with Chocolate Sauce and Cherry Garnish Recipe
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Phase: Phase 3
16 Sugar-Free Flavored Syrup, Hazelnut
2 Unsweetened Baking Chocolate Bar
1 1/2 Frozen Cherries
0 1/2 Sucralose Based Sweetener (Sugar Substitute)
0 1/8 CREAM OF TARTAR
1 Tap Water
2 Chocolate, baking, unsweetened
1 Baking Powder (Straight Phosphate, Double Acting)
6 HEAVY CREAM
5 Egg (Whole)
Use the Atkins recipe to make Atkins Low Carb Wheat Bread for this recipe. You will need 1 slice. You will also need 1/3 cup of the sugar-free hazelnut syrup.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Spread almonds on a baking sheet and toast until golden, about 10 minutes; cool completely. Additionally if your bread is not stale toast the bread along with the almonds. Transfer to a food processor and add bread, baking powder and cream of tartar; process until almonds are finely ground.
- Line a 9-inch springform pan with waxed paper. Lightly spray with cooking spray, then dust with about 1 teaspoon of the crushed almonds.
- Combine 5 egg yolks and 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar substitute in a large bowl; beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat 5 egg whites in another bowl with clean and dry beaters until soft peaks form. Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar substitute (reserving 1 teaspoon for the whipped cream garnish) and beat until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Fold nuts into yolks in three additions, alternating with one-quarter of the whites each time; fold in remaining whites. Spread lightly in pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack. Run a sharp knife between torte and pan to loosen. Set a plate over the pan and invert torte onto plate. Peel off waxed paper, then invert again onto a serving plate.
- Combine chocolate, hazelnut syrup and 2 tablespoons cream in top of a double boiler set over simmering water. Whisk until chocolate melts, then whisk in 2 tablespoons of water. In a bowl, whip 4 tablespoons cream to soft peaks with 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar substitute.
- To serve, cut torte into eight wedges; top with sauce. Spoon whipped cream next to torte and add thawed cherries alongside.
We love the idea of customizing this recipe to make it your own! If you add any ingredients, just be sure to keep an eye on net carbs.