Flag Cake Recipe
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Phase: Phase 2
9 lrg raw egg
0 3/4 cup almond meal, super fine, with skin
1 1/8 cup Sucralose Based Sweetener (Sugar Substitute)
3 tsp Baking Powder (Straight Phosphate, Double Acting)
0 1/4 tsp Salt
2 tsp lemon zest
0 3/4 cup Tap Water
0 1/2 cup canola oil
4 tsp Vanilla Extract
0 1/2 tsp Cream Of Tartar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
0 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
15 ea fresh strawberries, medium, 1 1/4"
Note: If you are sensitive to gluten, you can substitute ingredients by increasing the almond flour to 1 cup and replacing the baking mix with ¾ cup coconut flour. Please add 1 additional NC to the total and follow the same directions as below. Use the Atkins recipe to make Atkins Soy-Free Flour Mix or you can use Gluten Free All Purpose Low Carb Baking Mix (leave the baking soda, salt and sweetener out). You will need 1 cup of either mix.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 13x9-inch baking pan with parchment paper and lightly spray with oil. Separate the eggs into two bowls and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk the Atkins Flour Mix, almond flour, 1 cup of granular sugar substitute (16 Tbsp = 1 C), baking powder, salt and lemon zest. In a separate bowl, combine the egg yolks, water, oil and 2 teaspoons of the vanilla extract. Slowly add the liquid mixture into the dry mixture, whisking until just combined.
- With an electric mixer on high, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form, about 4 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, fold whites into batter in three additions. Pour batter into prepared pan, spread evenly and smooth top.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and sides have just started to pull away from the pan. Allow cake to cool completely, about 1 hour. Transfer cake to a serving platter (run a sharp knife around the side to help release cake from the pan).
- With an electric mixer on high, beat cream, remaining 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and 2 tablespoons of sugar substitute until soft peaks form. Using a metal spatula, spread whipped cream in an even layer on top and sides of cake.
- To make the flag design: form stars by arranging the blueberries in upper left corner of cake to form a 4x3-inch blue square. Form stripes by arranging the strawberries in 4 equally-spaced horizontal lines across the cake. Cut into 12 pieces and serve immediately.
We love the idea of customizing this recipe to make it your own! If you add any ingredients, just be sure to keep an eye on net carbs.