Chocolate Chip-Macadamia Nut Ice Cream Sandwiches Recipe
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Phase: Phase 2
0 1/2 cup Butter, salted
0 3/4 cup Sucralose Based Sweetener (Sugar Substitute)
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
3 large Egg (Whole)
1 cup Atkins Flour Mix (cups)
0 1/2 tsp Baking powder
5 Tbsp Lily's Sugar Free Chocolate Chips
3 cup Heavy Cream
3 large Egg Yolk
0 1/4 tsp Salt
0 1/2 cup, whole or halves Macadamia Nuts
0 1/2 tsp Pure Almond Extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- For the cookies: You will need 1 cup of Atkins Flour Mix. Blend together softened butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar substitute and 1 tsp vanilla until smooth. Add one egg and continue to blend until thick and smooth. Add the flour mix and baking powder blending until smooth. Fold in the chocolate chips. Portion the dough to make 20 equal sized balls. Place 2 inches apart on a parchment paper lined pan, flatten slightly and bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- For the macadamia nut ice cream: Pour heavy cream into a heavy-bottomed 3-quart saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring to a low boil, stirring often so the cream does not boil over. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, place 2 eggs, 3 egg yolks, 1/4 cup sugar substitute and salt. Using either a hand mixer or a whisk, beat together until thickened and smooth.
- Using a ladle, remove about a cup of the hot cream from saucepan and gradually whisk into egg mixture (this tempers the eggs so they won't curdle). Whisking, pour tempered egg mixture into remaining cream in saucepan.
- Place over medium heat and whisk until slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour into a clean bowl, whisk in 1 tsp vanilla and the almond extract; let stand until custard is completely cooled to room temperature, about 1 1/2 hours. Refrigerate 2 hours, until well chilled, or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions. Add chopped macadamia nuts 15 minutes before freezing process is complete.
- To assemble sandwiches: Arrange 10 cookies, top side down, on work surface. Using an ice cream scoop, working quickly, place 1/4 cup ice cream on each cookie. Top each with another cookie, bottom side down.
- Wrap each sandwich well in plastic wrap and place in freezer. Freeze at least 4 hours (ice cream will be soft) or overnight (for firmer sandwiches). Can be stored in the freezer up to 1 month.
We love the idea of customizing this recipe to make it your own! If you add any ingredients, just be sure to keep an eye on net carbs.