Wild Rice, Sausage and Cherry Stuffing Recipe
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Phase: Phase 3
0 3/4 cup, chopped Onions
4 Atkins Low Carb Wheat Bread
0 1/3 cup Wild Rice
2 1/2 cup Tap Water
12 oz, raw (yield after cooking) Italian Sausage
0 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter Stick
3 stalk, medium (7-1/2" - 8" long) Celery
0 1/2 cup Parsley
0 1/3 cup, with pits, yields Red Sour Cherries
1 tbsp Poultry Seasoning
0 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1 cup Chicken Broth, Bouillon or Consomme
- Combine wild rice, 1 1/2 cups of the water and a generous pinch of salt in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until tender, 40 to 45 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Set bread cubes on a jelly-roll pan in a single layer. Bake, stirring once, until crispy, 10 to 14 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.
- Meanwhile, remove sausage from casing; crumble into a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently to break up clumps, until cooked through and lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Add to bread.
- Return skillet to medium heat; add butter. When melted, add celery and white onion; cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add to bread mixture, then stir in parsley, cherries, poultry seasoning, pepper and wild rice. Mix well. Stir in 1 cup of the chicken broth; add more if the stuffing still looks dry.
- Transfer the stuffing to a large baking dish. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes, then uncover and continue baking until lightly browned and heated through, 15 minutes longer.
Whether you’re feeding a family or cooking for one, you can update the serving settings above to reveal the required amount of ingredients.