Low Carb Portobello Mushroom Fries Recipe
Cook Time: 16 Minutes
Phase: Phase 2
8 oz fresh portobello mushrooms
2 ea raw egg white
3 Tbsp tap water
0 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
5 Tbsp almond flour, super finely ground, gluten free
2 1/2 tsp italian seasoning blend
1 1/4 tsp garlic powder
5 sec spray olive oil cooking spray
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Brush mushroom caps off, then slice into ¼-inch “fries.”
- In a medium flat bottom bowl, whisk together egg whites and water until frothy.
- In another medium flat bottom bowl, mix together parmesan, almond flour, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder until well combined.
- Roll each mushroom fry in the frothy egg whites, then coat in the parmesan mix. Place on a cooling rack set over a cookie sheet. Repeat, re-frothing the egg whites as needed, until all mushroom fries are coated. Spray coated fries evenly with a light layer olive oil spray, flip and spray again.
- Heat an air fryer to 390°F for at least 3 minutes. Gently place coated mushroom fries into the air fryer in a single layer and cook for 2 minutes, gently flip each fry and cook another 2 minutes, until golden. Remove to a serving plate. Repeat in batches until all fries are cooked. Serve garnished with chopped parsley.
These fries are delicious served with a thin, no sugar added marinara sauce. Just be sure to count the additional net carbs.
The “fry” shape is called a baton cut, and while it typically depicts an even width on all sides, that level of accuracy is not necessary for this recipe. With that said, aim to get each fry about the same width so that they cook evenly.You can modify this recipe for a variety of different vegetables (think green bean fries, turnip fries, or avocado fries), or a hardy cheese like haloumi. Note that the amount of time to cook will differ, so keep a close eye on your air fryer and keep the coating from burning. If you don’t have an air fryer, you can pan fry these veggie fries using a non-stick pan, a thin layer of avocado oil, and a very gentle touch to be careful not to rub off the coating on each fry as you flip them in the pan.