Jalapeno Popper Cauliflower Mac and Cheese Recipe
Cook Time: 50 Minutes
Phase: Phase 2
0 1/2 tsp table salt
1 ea fresh cauliflower, large head, 6" to 7"
8 oz raw bacon, cured
4 oz fresh jalapeno peppers
0 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
0 1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened
2 oz cream cheese
1 1/2 tsp yellow mustard seeds, ground
4 oz sharp cheddar cheese
1 ea fresh garlic cloves
0 1/4 tsp white pepper
0 1/4 tsp Tabasco hot sauce
0 1/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese, hard, grated
2 Tbsp almond flour, super finely ground, gluten free
Ingredient note: jalapeños come in a variety of sizes, so weigh out 4 ounces of untrimmed jalapeños to use in this recipe which will equate to about 8 small jalapenos, or 3 large.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and prepare a 9-inch by 9-inch baking dish with olive oil spray. Heat a large pot of water to boiling and add 1/2 tsp salt.
- Remove stem and leaves from cauliflower. Cut into small bite sized pieces and place in the boiling water; cook until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well then pat between paper towels to remove all moisture.
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepot, fry bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels, setting two slices aside for garnish, and roughly chopping the remaining bacon. Set aside.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat. Slice ½ jalapeno (17g) and set aside for garnish. Remove the seeds and ribs from the remaining jalapenos and dice. Sauté diced jalapenos in the bacon fat over medium heat until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Pour cream and almond milk into the pot, bringing to a simmer over medium heat. Whisk the cream cheese and powdered mustard into the simmering cream until smooth. Add shredded sharp cheddar, minced or pressed garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, white pepper and pepper sauce (Tabasco®, to taste) whisking until the cheese melts; about 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cauliflower. Stir chopped bacon into the cauliflower.
- Pour into the baking dish. In a small bowl, combine grated parmesan cheese and almond flour. Sprinkle evenly over the cauliflower. Bake for 15-18 minutes until browned and bubbly. Garnish with jalapeno slices and bacon set aside for garnish. Each serving is about 3/4 cup.
Calorie note: Because most of the bacon fat is poured off, you can reduce the calories shown per serving by 86, and the fat by 8.9g.