Chaffle Pizza Recipe
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Phase: Phase 2
How to Calculate Atkins Net Carbs
Atkins Net Carbs = Total Carbohydrates – Fiber – Sugar Alcohols/Glycerin (if applicable)×
3 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, balls
1 lrg raw egg
1 Tbsp almond meal, super fine, with skin
0 1/2 tsp glucomannan powder, from konjac root
0 1/2 tsp italian seasoning blend
0 1/4 tsp baking powder, low sodium
0 1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp tomato basil pasta sauce
4 ea fresh basil, leaf
9 g beef & pork pepperoni, sliced
- Preheat a mini waffle iron (such as the Dash brand).
- Shred 3 ounces fresh mozzarella, resulting in about 3/4 cup shreds.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to combine ½ cup shredded mozzarella, room temperature egg, almond meal, glucomannan, Italian seasoning, baking powder, and garlic powder.
- Pour half of the batter into the waffle iron, spreading it out evenly. Cook using manufactures instructions, 4-6 minutes, or until the edges are golden and crispy and steam is no longer escaping. Remove to a metal cooling rack set onto a baking sheet. Repeat, creating 2 total chaffles with all the batter.
- Turn on oven broiler.
- Top each chaffle with 1 tablespoon pasta sauce, ½-ounce (about 2 tablespoons) shredded mozzarella, 2 torn leaves of basil, and 1 chopped slice pepperoni. Keeping the chaffle pizzas on the cooling rack on the baking sheet, place under the broiler until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, but eat while warm. Two mini chaffle pizzas is one serving.
Equipment and ingredient note: We call for using a mini waffle iron for this recipe, but you can also use a 4 slice waffle iron. With a 4 slice, pour all the batter into the center of the waffle iron and spread it out evenly across all sections. It may not reach the edges which is fine. Complete the recipe with all toppings on the one larger chaffle. We also call for glucomannan, a fiber from the konjac root, in this recipe. Using glucomannan results in a crispier chaffle base, but if you can’t find it, you can use 1 tablespoon cream cheese instead. Just be sure to count the added 0.6g net carbs and 48 calories.