Fried Hazelnut-Crusted Calamari with Spicy Tomato Sauce
Style: Mediterranean / Greek
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Phase: Phase 3
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 Teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/3 Cup tomato sauce
- 1 Cup chopped hazelnuts
- 2/3 Cup All Purpose Low-Carb Baking Mix
- 1/4 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Pound squid, cut into 1/2-inch rings
- 1/4 Cup to 2 cups peanut oil
- 1/8 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Each medium lemon, in wedges for garnish
- Use 2 cups oil for frying in this recipe.
- For sauce: In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add parsley and red pepper flakes and sauté for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes (sauce may be made up to two days in advance).
- In a food processor, process hazelnuts, baking mix and cayenne until nuts are finely ground, about 1 minute. Transfer to a shallow bowl. Dredge calamari in mixture, tapping to remove any excess, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep sauce pot until temperature reaches 375°F. Fry calamari in batches, 30 seconds per batch, until firm and light golden. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Sprinkle with salt and serve with sauce and lemon wedges.