Fried Hazelnut-Crusted Calamari with Spicy Tomato Sauce
Style: Mediterranean / Greek
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Phase: Phase 3
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Parsley
- 1.33 Cup Tomato Sauce (Canned)
- 1 Chopped Hazelnuts or Filberts Nuts
- 0.25 Tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Lb Squid (Mixed Species)
- 0.25 Tsp Chili Powder
- 0.25 Cup Peanut Oil
- 0.13 Tsp Salt
- 1 Dia) Lemon
- Use 2 cups oil for frying in this recipe.
- For sauce: In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add parsley and red pepper flakes and sauté for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes (sauce may be made up to two days in advance).
- In a food processor, process hazelnuts, 2/3 cups baking mix and cayenne until nuts are finely ground, about 1 minute. Transfer to a shallow bowl. Dredge calamari in mixture, tapping to remove any excess, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep sauce pot until temperature reaches 375°F. Fry calamari in batches, 30 seconds per batch, until firm and light golden. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Sprinkle with salt and serve with sauce and lemon wedges.