Burgundy Beef Stew (Boeuf Bourguignonne)
Cook Time: 150 Minutes
Phase: Phase 2
- 1/4 Cup All Purpose Low-Carb Baking Mix
- 3 Pound beef chuck roast, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 Pound bacon slices
- 3 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 Cup chopped onion
- 2/3 Cup chopped carrots
- 1 Each celery stalk, chopped
- 2 Each garlic gloves
- 2 Cup red wine
- 29 Ounce beef broth
- 1 Teaspoon 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 Pound white mushrooms, quartered
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Season beef cubes with salt and pepper. Spread baking mix in a baking dish and lightly coat cubes, tapping to remove any excess.
- In a large stock pot (or Dutch oven) over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, crumble, and set aside.
- Add oil to remaining bacon fat in pot. Over medium-high heat, brown beef cubes in batches. Remove beef from pot, and add onion, carrot and celery and sauté over medium heat for about 8 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds, until aroma is released.
- Pour in wine and increase heat to high. Boil wine until reduced to 1 cup, about 5 minutes. Return beef and accumulated juices to pot. Pour in beef broth and add bay leaf. Reduce heat to low, cover partially and simmer 2 hours.Add mushrooms, thyme and parsley and continue cooking for another 30 minutes, until beef is fork-tender and sauce has thickened.
- Remove bay leaf, and serve with crumbled bacon.