Burgundy Beef Stew (Boeuf Bourguignonne)
Cook Time: 150 Minutes
Phase: Phase 2
- 0.67 Chopped Carrots
- 48 Boneless Braised or Boiled Beef Pot Roast (Lean and Fat Eaten)
- 8 Oz Mushroom Pieces and Stems
- 1 Long) Celery
- 2 Clove Garlic
- 16 Oz Red Table Wine
- 1 Crumbled Bay Leaf
- 3 Tsp Thyme
- 1 Tbsp Parsley
- 1.5 Chopped Onions
- 2 Ready-to-serve Beef Broth, Bouillon or Consomme
- 3 Tbsp Canola Vegetable Oil
- 4 Cooking) Bacon
- Season beef cubes with salt and pepper. Spread 1/4 cup baking mix in a baking dish and lightly coat cubes, tapping to remove any excess.
- In a large stock pot (or Dutch oven) over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, crumble, and set aside.
- Add oil to remaining bacon fat in pot. Over medium-high heat, brown beef cubes in batches. Remove beef from pot, and add white onion, carrot and celery and sauté over medium heat for about 8 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds, until aroma is released.
- Pour in wine and increase heat to high. Boil wine until reduced to 1 cup, about 5 minutes. Return beef and accumulated juices to pot. Pour in beef broth and add bay leaf. Reduce heat to low, cover partially and simmer 2 hours.Add mushrooms, thyme and parsley and continue cooking for another 30 minutes, until beef is fork-tender and sauce has thickened.
- Remove bay leaf, and serve with crumbled bacon.