Low Carb Pizza Crust with Almond Flour Recipe
Cook Time: 22 Minutes
Phase: Phase 1
1 large Egg (Whole)
3 tablespoon Tap Water
1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 1/2 cup Blanched Almond Flour
0 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese (Grated)
0 1/2 tsp Baking Powder (Straight Phosphate, Double Acting)
0 1/2 tsp Xylitol
0 3/4 tsp Oregano
0 3/4 tsp Basil
0 1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
This low carb pizza crust recipe is suitable for all phases except for the first two weeks of Induction due to the nuts.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients (egg, water, vinegar, and oil) in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add all the dry ingredients (almond flour through red pepper) to a medium bowl. Mix until ingredients are evenly distributed and any lumps in the flour or cheese are broken up. Add the wet ingredients and stir to form a thick dough.
- Prepare a pizza pan or sheet pan with greased parchment paper. Using wet fingers, press the dough into a roughly 12-inch diameter, ¼-inch thick round on the parchment paper.
- Prebake the low carb pizza crust without any toppings for 20 minutes, until lightly golden and crisp around the edges.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before layering desired toppings. Place back in the oven for a few minutes to warm the toppings and melt the cheese. Makes 8 slices.
Ingredient notes: For best results, use blanched, fine ground almond flour and a large or extra-large egg. The dried spices are optional but add great flavor to the dough. Consider adding up to 1/2 tsp garlic powder as well.
Variations: To make a crispy, more cracker like crust, prebake for another 5-10 minutes and allow to cool for about 20 minutes before topping. For breadsticks, form 8, 1-inch thick breadstick shaped mounds and cook for 25-30 minutes.
Check out our Traditional Pizza Sauce recipe to get you started, and be sure to keep track of net carbs when choosing your toppings.