Keto Mushroom Nuggets Recipe
Cook Time: 14 Minutes
Phase: Phase 2
1 lrg raw egg
0 1/4 tsp glucomannan powder, from konjac root
4 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, pieces
6 Tbsp fresh young green scallions, chopped
0 3/4 tsp table salt
0 3/4 tsp italian seasoning blend
0 1/4 tsp black pepper, ground
3 Tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
3 Tbsp almond flour, super finely ground, gluten free
8 sec spray olive oil cooking spray
- Heat oven to 425° and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl whisk together egg and glucomannan until fully combined and glucomannan is completely mixed in. Set aside and allow to thicken while preparing vegetables, at least 10 minutes.
- In a food processor, add chopped mushrooms, chopped scallions, salt, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Pulse until mushrooms are broken down, and all ingredients are evenly combined. Scrape onto a paper towel lined plate, cover with another paper towel and squeeze as much water out of the mushrooms as you can. Place in a medium bowl and mix in the thickened egg mixture.
- On a rimmed plate, use a fork to mix together grated parmesan cheese and almond flour until evenly combined. Measure out 1 tablespoon rounds of mushroom mixture and coat the top and bottom in the parmesan and almond flour on the plate. Place on the baking sheet and spray with a light layer of olive oil. You should have about 16 puck shaped nuggets.
- Bake for 7 minutes, flip and bake 7 minutes more until golden. Remove to a serving plate to cool and garnish with fresh parsley. Four nuggets are one serving.
Mushrooms are a wonderful high fiber vegetable for low carb and keto diets. In this recipe we use a food processor to create a more dense texture from mushrooms that provides a meaty texture your family will love. We call for a special fiber in this recipe- glucomannan. This fiber is available at health food stores as a fiber supplement. We chose this one because while it does a great job binding the nuggets together, it also helps crisp the exterior of these nuggets. If you can’t find it, you can use xanthan gum instead.