Atkins diet Beach Body Survey reports big bellies have self-conscious Americans taking cover
DENVER, Aug. 2, 2011 /PRNewswire/ —Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. (“Atkins™”) today released results from its first annual Beach Body Survey. The results show both men and women lack self-confidence while wearing swimsuits, as over three-quarters (77%) of Americans admit they typically wear something, such as a t-shirt or towel, over their bathing suit at a pool or beach. The top body part that makes close to two-thirds (63%) of these folks uncomfortable – their tummies!
Do other body parts make Americans cringe when bathing suit bound? The study found that:
- More men than women (76% vs. 52%) are most worried about their stomachs when it comes to revealing their beach bodies. However, more women than men (25% vs. 4%) are self-conscious about their legs.
- Other body parts such as the butt (4%), chest (4%) and back (4%) all ranked lower in terms of self-consciousness when folks were beach or poolside.
- Regional perceptions differ. Sixty-eight percent of these self-conscious Americans in regions outside of the South most fret about their tummies, vs. 52% of Southerners.
Who covers up and for how long?
- Women are more likely than men (85% vs. 67%) to cover up when in a swimsuit. Yet the high percentage of men covering up – more than half – implies that they are almost as self-conscious as women about their bodies.
- On average, polled respondents cover up more than half (59%) of the time they are in bathing suits.
- And it appears that with age, people are more comfortable with their bodies in a swimsuit – but not too comfortable. More Americans ages 18-34 than those who are older (82% vs. 74%) typically cover up their bathing suits.
Retail Therapy? Not So Therapeutic!
- For some, even shopping for a bathing suit is unpleasant. Close to one in two (47%) Americans would opt for a long list of annoying activities rather than go swimsuit shopping. More than one in three of these people would prefer to wait in a never-ending line (36%).
- Forty-two percent of women would rather go to the dentist than go bathing suit shopping. For men, that’s only 27%.
“It’s not too late to take control of your weight with the Atkins Diet so you can look and feel better in a bathing suit,” said Colette Heimowitz, Ms.C., Vice President of Nutrition and Education at Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. “More than 60 scientific studies have shown that Atkins is an effective way of managing weight. The program enables you to eat a variety of nutritious foods that leave you feeling satisfied. Atkins is a powerful tool for both short and long-term weight management.”
About the Survey
The Atkins Beach Body survey analyzed body image attitudes and opinions based on a survey conducted by Kelton Research on behalf of Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. The online survey took place between July 5 and July 8, 2011 among 1,000 adults ages 18 and over.
About Atkins Nutritionals, Inc.
Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. is a leading player in the $2.4 billion weight control nutrition category, and offers a powerful lifetime approach to weight loss and weight management. The Atkins Nutritional Approach focuses on a healthy diet with reduced levels of refined carbohydrates and added sugars and encourages the consumption of protein, fiber, fruits, vegetables and good fats. Backed by research and consumer success stories, this approach allows the body to burn more fat and work more efficiently while helping individuals feel less hungry, more satisfied and more energetic.
Atkins Nutritionals, Inc., manufactures and sells a variety of nutrition bars, foods and shakes designed around the nutritional principles of the Atkins Diet™. Atkins’ four product lines: Advantage®, Day Break™, Endulge™ and Cuisine™ appeal to a broad audience of both men and women who want to achieve their weight management goals and enjoy a healthier lifestyle. Atkins products are available in more than 30,000 locations throughout the U.S. and internationally. For more information, visit atkins.com.
Kelton Research is a leading global insights firm and is America’s 64th fastest growing private company. Serving as a partner to more than 100 of the Fortune 500 and thousands of smaller companies and organizations, Kelton utilizes a wide range of customized, innovative research techniques and staff expertise in marketing, branding, PR, media and business strategy to help drive our clients’ businesses forward. For more information about Kelton’s services, please call 1.888.8.KELTON