Turkey with Italian Sausage Stuffing
Cook Time: 240 Minutes
Phase: Phase 2
- 1/2 Pound mild Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter
- 2 Each medium celery ribs, minced
- 1 Each medium yellow onion, minced
- 2 Each large eggs
- 1 Teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 Teaspoon poultry seasoning or ground sage
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground pepper
- 8 Serving Atkins Cuisine Bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 Cup chicken broth
- 10 Pound whole turkey, thawed, rinsed inside and out and patted dry
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Set a 12-inch skillet over medium high heat until hot. Add sausage and cook, breaking apart with a spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer sausage and pan drippings to a bowl and set aside.
- Melt butter in skillet. Add celery and yellow onion; sauté until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add to sausage.
- Lightly beat eggs in a large bowl. Add thyme, poultry seasoning and ½ teaspoon pepper; stir until blended. Add bread cubes and toss gently to coat completely. Add sausage and vegetables and stock; stir gently to blend.
- Stuff cavity of the turkey loosely with the bread mixture. Secure drumsticks together with cooking string or ties. (Don t pack stuffing too firmly; it mist be fairly loose in order to cook properly.)
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Brush with oil, season with salt and pepper, cover loosely with foil and roast until juices run clear when turkey is pierced in the thigh with a sharp knife and the center of the stuffing registers at least 165°F, about 3 hours. After 2 ½ hours, remove foil and cut string between drumsticks and let stand 15 minutes before carving. Spoon stuffing into bowl and serve alongside.