Butternut Squash Soup
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Phase: Phase 2
- 1 1/4 Pound butternut squash, in 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon pepper
- 2 Each medium summer squash, in 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 Cup sliced onion
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 36 Ounce-weight chicken broth
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss butternut squash with 1 tablespoon oil and half the salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast, turning once, until slightly softened, about 15 minutes.
- Toss yellow squash and onions with remaining oil, salt and pepper. Add to baking sheet with butternut squash and continue roasting until all vegetables are tender, about 20 more minutes.
- In a large saucepot over medium heat, simmer pumpkin pie spice with tomato paste, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add roasted vegetables and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cream.
- Purée soup with an immersion blender (or in a regular blender in batches). Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Garnish with sour cream and/or toasted pumpkin seeds, if desired.