Butternut Squash Soup
Cook Time: 60 Minutes
Phase: Phase 2
- 1.25 lb Butternut Winter Squash
- 0.25 cup sliced Onions
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 0.75 tsp Salt
- 0.5 tsp Black Pepper
- 1.5 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 14.5 oz can Chicken Broth, Bouillon or Consomme
- 0.5 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 cup sliced Yellow Summer Squash
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Peel and cube butternut squash. Toss with 1 tablespoon oil and half the salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast, turning once, until slightly softened, about 15 minutes.
- Toss yellow squash and onions with remaining oil, salt and pepper. Add to baking sheet with butternut squash and continue roasting until all vegetables are tender, about 20 more minutes.
- In a large sauce pot over medium heat, simmer pumpkin pie spice with tomato paste, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add roasted vegetables and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cream.
- Purée soup with an immersion blender (or in a regular blender in batches). Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Garnish with sour cream and/or toasted pumpkin seeds, if desired.