Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Phase: Phase 1
- 0.5 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Dia) Red Tomatoes
- 4 Oz) Whole Milk Mozzarella Cheese
- 6.5 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 0.5 Tsp Garlic
- 1 Leaves Oregano
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Lb) Eggplant
- 8 Tbsps Basil
- 0.25 Cup Parmesan Cheese (Grated)
- 0.25 Cup Dried Pine Nuts
- 0.33 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, red wine vinegar, minced glove of garlic, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Add eggplant, toss well, and let stand 1 hour; turning eggplant occasionally. Optional: brush eggplant with olive oil and grill for 2-3 minutes per side; allow to cool and set aside.
- In a food processor pulse the basil, Parmesan, 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and pine nuts until a smooth paste forms. Transfer to bowl and cover entire surface with plastic wrap.
- Combine 1/4 cup oil (4 Tbsp), balsamic vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a pinch (1/8 tsp) of black pepper in a pie plate; add sliced tomato and turn to coat.
- To assemble stack: Arrange 4 eggplant slices, spread 1/2 tablespoon pesto over the top. Top with 1 tomato slice then with 1 mozzarella slice. Add another layer of eggplant, pesto, tomato and cheese. Drizzle any extra tomato juices around each stack.