Cook Time: 70 Minutes
Phase: Phase 1
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Each eggplant, cut into eight 1/4-1/2-inch slices
- 1 Each medium tomato, cut into 8 thin slices
- 4 Ounce fresh mozzarella, cut into 8 thin slices
- 6 1/2 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 Each large garlic clove, pushed through a press
- 1 Teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 8 Each half-inch-thick slices eggplant
- 1 Cup packed basil leaves
- 1/4 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 Cup toasted pine nuts or pumpkin seeds
- 1 Teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Add eggplant, toss well, and let stand 1 hour; turning eggplant occasionally. Optional: brush eggplant with olive oil and grill for 2-3 minutes per side; allow to cool and set aside.
- In a food processor pulse the basil, Parmesan, 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and pine nuts until a smooth paste forms. Transfer to bowl and cover entire surface with plastic wrap.
- Combine 1/4 cup oil (4 Tbsp), balsamic vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a pinch (1/8 tsp) of black pepper in a pie plate; add sliced tomato and turn to coat.
- To assemble stack: Arrange 4 eggplant slices, spread 1/2 tablespoon pesto over the top. Top with 1 tomato slice then with 1 mozzarella slice. Add another layer of eggplant, pesto, tomato and cheese. Drizzle any extra tomato juices around each stack.