Phase Four: Controlling a Healthy Lifestyle
Maintaining your ideal weight doesn't happen by itself. Living healthy should always be top of mind but it's helpful to keep a checklist handy to remind yourself of how far you've come and why it's so important. Reference the list below to remain in control of your hard-won new weight.
- Stay at your carb tolerance level, the number of daily grams of Net Carbs you can consume while maintaining your weight. This is the threshold you discovered when you maintained your weight for a month in Phase 3 (Fine-Tuning).
- Continue to have a minimum of 12–15 grams of Net Carbs in the form of foundation vegetables.
- Continue to have 4–6 ounces of (cooked) protein at each meal.
- Aim for no more than two servings of fruit a day.
- Continue to see fat as your friend and integral to weight management.
- Combine carbohydrate foods with fat and/or protein to moderate your blood sugar response.
- Continue to drink plenty of water and other noncaloric beverages.
- Adjust your carb intake if you become less (or more) active.
- Distinguish between hunger and habit.
- Continue to weigh and measure yourself once a week.
- Never let yourself gain more than 5 pounds (unless you become pregnant) without taking immediate action.
- Add new foods one at a time to gauge their impact on cravings and appetite.
- Engage in regular physical activity.
- Portion out ahead of time any foods, such as nuts or cheese, that you might be tempted to overeat.
- Keep reading labels, especially on any new foods.
- Stay alert to the possibility of carb creep.
- Plan ahead if you decide to take an occasional departure from your low-carb lifestyle.