Lose Baby Weight with Easy, Healthy Meals for New Moms
When you’re a new mom, it’s important to familiarize yourself with meals that are quick to prepare and easy to eat with a baby in one arm. For new moms looking to lose baby weight, these meals should also be healthy, filling and full of vitamins, especially if you’re breastfeeding. Phase two of the Atkins Diet is a great place to start because it is conducive to slow steady weight loss and supplies adequate calories without depriving moms of delicious foods high in important vitamins and nutrients. Get inspired in the kitchen with these ideas for easy, healthy meals for new moms:
- Salmon is a super food and a great option for new moms trying to lose baby weight. Because it contains a fat called DHA that is crucial to the development of babies’ nervous systems, it’s an ideal food for breastfeeding moms. Bake salmon in the oven for a quick dinner that involves minimal prep work.
- Eggs are an excellent source of protein and also cook up quickly. An egg frittata, omelet or scramble can be made in one pan and can use almost any ingredient that you have in the fridge. If you’re breastfeeding, include cheese in your egg dishes for extra calcium that can help your baby’s bones develop.
- Leafy greens are valuable sources of vitamins and minerals that are especially important for breastfeeding moms. To make sure you’re getting the nutrients you need, top a salad of leafy greens like spinach or kale with grilled chicken, salmon or tuna salad for a quick, healthy and protein-packed meal.
- When you’re in need of a quick side dish, whip up a sweet fruit salad. Fruit salad is a healthy way to satisfy your sweet tooth and add healthy vitamins and nutrients to any meal. Use whatever fruits you have on hand and toss everything in one bowl. Orange segments will give you an instant energy boost and blueberries will provide you with a healthy dose of antioxidants.
- Casseroles are great meals for new moms since they easily can be made ahead of time, frozen and reheated when you need a quick dinner. To stay healthy, load up your casseroles with lots of vegetables in addition to protein and cheese. This easy recipe for chicken eggplant casserole is full of lean protein, fiber and vitamins, and eggplant lasagna makes a filling low carb meal.
Use these meal ideas to eat well and lose baby weight. If you have other suggestions for quick and easy meals for new moms, share them below!
Disclaimer: Nothing contained on this Site is intended to provide health care advice. Should you have any health care-related questions, please call or see your physician or other health care provider. Consult your physician or health care provider before beginning the Atkins Diet as you would any other weight loss or weight maintenance program. The weight loss phases of the Atkins Diet should not be used by persons on dialysis or by pregnant or nursing women.