Atkins helps you
Chocolate Ice Cream
ACCESS OUR DATABASE OF OVER 1,600 FREE
ATKINS-FRIENDLY RECIPES. CLICK HERE!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
- Pour heavy cream into a heavy-bottomed 3-quart saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Bring to a low boil, stirring often so the cream does not boil over.
- Remove from heat. In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, yolks, cocoa powder, sugar substitute and salt.
- With an electric mixer on medium, beat together until thickened and smooth, 2 to 3 minutes, scraping sides of bowl with a rubber spatula. Using a ladle, remove about a cup of the hot cream from the pan, and gradually whisk into egg mixture (this tempers the eggs so they won't curdle).
- Whisking, pour tempered egg mixture into remaining cream in saucepan.
- Place over medium heat and whisk until slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour into a clean bowl, whisk in extracts and let stand until custard is cooled to room temperature, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Refrigerate 2 hours, until well chilled, or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions.
- When freezing process is complete, serve immediately for soft serve ice cream, or for firm ice cream, place in an airtight container and freeze 2 to 4 hours or overnight. (Can be stored in the freezer up to 1 month.)
Disclaimer: Nothing contained on this Site is intended to provide health care advice. Should you have any health care-related questions, please call or see your physician or other health care provider. Consult your physician or health care provider before beginning the Atkins Diet as you would any other weight loss or weight maintenance program. The weight loss phases of the Atkins Diet should not be used by persons on dialysis or by pregnant or nursing women.