DENVER, CO. (April 12, 2011) – Atkins Nutritionals Inc.
(“Atkins™”), with its market-leading, weight-management products, has introduced six new Day Break products
in morning flavors consumers love: the first and only ready-to-drink, low carb breakfast shake featuring resealable twist-off cap technology, soft baked breakfast squares, and a tasty new morning snack bar. These new low-sugar additions offer a delicious and satisfying breakfast or mid-morning snack for those on the go.
Recent studies blame refined sugars and carbohydrates as key contributors to conditions such as excess weight, heart disease and Type 2 Diabetes, creating a demand for foods that are high in protein and fiber yet low in sugar. The new Atkins products fulfill this need: the new Day Break shakes contain on average 20 grams less net carbs and 2 grams more fiber than leading competitors including Special K® and Slim-Fast®. Additionally, the new Day Break Oatmeal Squares contain on average 18 grams less sugar, 35 grams less net carbs and 5 grams more fiber compared to similar Quaker Instant Oatmeal products.
“Fifty-four percent of consumers say they don’t have enough time to eat breakfast - they want easy, grab-n-go choices that are still low in sugar and simple carbs,” said Atkins CEO, Monty Sharma. “We saw this as an opportunity to offer an interesting variety of breakfast options.”
Additionally, as research showed sixty percent of consumers consume breakfast shakes on-the-go , Atkins added a new resealable cap to their Day Break Shakes, making them easy to open, close and carry while in transit.
The new Day Break flavors will be available wherever Atkins products are sold nationwide by May.
New Atkins Day Break products include:
Breakfast shakes with resealable, twist off caps (SRP $6.99 for 4 shakes):
In flavors requested by consumers and available in breakthrough packaging, these shakes offer on-the-go enjoyment. All of Atkins Day Break Shakes have 10 grams protein, 3 grams net carbs or less, and 0 grams sugar.
• Wild Berry Shake – Strawberries, raspberries and blueberries with rich cream. The perfect amount of fiber and protein made delicious in this creamy berry surprise.
• Creamy Chocolate Shake – Chocoholics can now start the day in the best way imaginable. We’ve turned the thick and creamy taste of chocolate into a nutritional breakfast – packed with the perfect amount of protein and fiber.
• Strawberry Banana Shake – A delicious blend of sun-ripened bananas, strawberries and rich cream. It’s the right amount of protein and fiber, without the carbs.
Soft baked breakfast squares (SRP $6.99 for 5 baked squares):
These high-fiber baked squares are convenient breakfast choices in the morning flavors people love.
• Blueberry Almond Baked Square – Two breakfast favorites – ripe blueberries and almond chunks – baked into a soft, chewy square and topped with vanilla drizzle. The Blueberry Almond Baked Square has 5 grams protein, 6 grams net carbs, and 2 grams sugar.
• Oatmeal Cinnamon Baked Square¬ – Lightly sweetened with vanilla drizzle and the spice of cinnamon, this oatmeal square has your health at heart. The Oatmeal Cinnamon Baked Square has 5 grams protein, 6 grams net carbs, and 1 gram sugar.
Cherry Pecan Bar (SRP $6.99 for 5 bars):
This crunchy-sweet combo satisfies the heartiest morning appetite. Real, perfectly sweetened cherries come together with crunchy pecan chunks for a hearty, healthy start to the day. The Cherry Pecan Bar has 5 grams protein, 6 grams net carbs, and 3 grams sugar.
About Atkins Nutritionals, Inc.
Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. is a leading player in the $2.4 billion weight control nutrition category, and offers a powerful lifetime approach to weight loss and weight management. The Atkins Diet focuses on a healthy diet with reduced levels of refined carbohydrates and added sugars and encourages the consumption of protein, fiber, fruits, vegetables and good fats. Backed by research and consumer success stories, this approach allows the body to burn more fat and work more efficiently while helping individuals feel less hungry, more satisfied and more energetic.
Atkins Nutritionals, Inc.
, manufactures and sells a variety of nutrition bars, foods and shakes designed around the nutritional principles of the Atkins Diet™. Atkins' four product lines: Advantage®, Day Break™, Endulge™ and Cuisine™ appeal to a broad audience of both men and women who want to achieve their weight management goals and enjoy a healthier lifestyle. Atkins products are available in more than 30,000 locations throughout the U.S. and internationally. For more information, visit atkins.com.