Once you get over the initial thrill of setting goals, keeping your New Year’s resolutions for the long term can often seem intimidating. Following through on major lifestyle changes, especially when it comes to diet and weight loss, is a major commitment, but is definitely worth the extra effort.
Don’t let the prospect of maintaining weight loss intimidate you this year! When you begin your resolutions with a positive attitude and plan ahead, hitting your weight loss goals will seem much more manageable. Use the following tips from Atkins to make keeping your New Year’s resolutions and maintaining weight loss easy:
- Focus on the Process: As you follow your low carb diet, remember that weight loss is a process and that hitting your goals will not happen instantly. Whenever you get frustrated or impatient, remind yourself that by sticking to your goals, you will see positive results in the long run.
- Plan Ahead & Stick to a Schedule Planning your meals and snacks ahead of time is an effective way to ensure that you stick to your low carb diet. Additionally, it’s a good idea to follow a similar meal schedule every day to help your body adjust to your diet changes.
- Track Your Progress Keep track of your progress as you go. Not only will this allow you to acknowledge positive progress and visualize how far you’ve come from your starting point, but it will also allow you to identify any areas or habits to improve.
- Reward Small Accomplishments Don’t wait until you reach your ultimate goal to celebrate and reward yourself! Rewarding small accomplishments along the way, whether it’s getting through Phase 1 or cooking a new favorite low carb recipe will help keep you motivated and feeling good about the weight loss process.
- Get Support Share your progress with friends and family to get additional support in accomplishing your weight loss goals. If you’re following the Atkins diet, joining one of our community groups or community forums is also an excellent way to get support throughout your weight loss journey.
To get additional help keeping your New Year’s resolutions, make sure to use Atkins’ free tools. Or, read through some of our success stories for extra motivation! With good planning and a positive mindset, maintaining weight loss will be a breeze.