Your Summer Low-Carb Eating Guide: 7 ways to keep the weight off this summer
Summertime has arrived! The days are longer, the sun is shining and the weather is hot. The following seven tips can help you enjoy a summer of delicious low-carb eating while continuing to achieve your weight loss goals.
- Keep your goals in sight. Whether your goal is to maintain the weight you’ve already lost or you want to lose more, make sure you have these goals written then and posted in a place that you see every day. This will help you stay focused and motivated, even during the lazy days of summer.
- Keep a food journal. It’s easy to fall off the wagon in the summer when the kids are off from school and every night is an excuse for an impromptu barbecue. Try writing down what you eat each day in a food journal. It is a powerful visual reminder that will help you stay on track. If the waistline on your shorts is getting a little tight, take a look at your food journal to see if you are consuming more Net Carbs than you should or if you have been waiting too long between meals.
- Drink your water. Thirst is often mistaken for hunger, and staying well hydrated helps you not to overeat. And in the heat of summer, it’s also very easy to become dehydrated. Carry a water bottle with you at all times, sip from it frequently. Spice up your water by adding sliced lemons, limes or cucumbers.
- Don’t skip meals. Keep your hunger in check by eating three regular-sized meals (and your choice of two snacks) every day. Some people do better with four or five smaller meals each day. The important thing is to keep your appetite and your cravings under control.
- Plan ahead. Keep snacks like Atkins Advantage bars or nuts at your fingertips so that you are less tempted by less healthy summertime treats. Keep cut-up veggies and tasty low-carb dips in your fridge for easy snacking. Boil up a batch of hard-boiled eggs that you can grab on the go when hunger hits. Grill extra meat for dinner, refrigerate the leftovers and serve over salads or in wraps during the week. Stash a few Atkins frozen meals in your freezer so you always have a quick low-carb meal ready in minutes.
- Embrace summer! Atkins is actually very easy to do during the summer with its wealth of fresh vegetables in season, and perfect weather for outdoor grilling. Everything just seems to taste better when you eat it outside. Make a habit of visiting your local farmer’s market for new ingredients to build your meals around. Add in fresh herbs for a big kick in flavor to your recipes. Switch out grilled chicken breast for steak, lamb, buffalo burgers, scallops, shrimp, salmon or more and enjoy the feast!
- Work it off. Don’t beat yourself up if you overindulged. Get moving instead! Take advantage of the beautiful weather and get outside and exercise. Add in a regular evening walk after dinner, hit the tennis court or golf course on the weekends, or go for a hike or bike ride.
Disclaimer: Nothing contained on this Site is intended to provide health care advice. Should you have any health care-related questions, please call or see your physician or other health care provider. Consult your physician or health care provider before beginning the Atkins Diet as you would any other weight loss or weight maintenance program. The weight loss phases of the Atkins Diet should not be used by persons on dialysis or by pregnant or nursing women.