Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 2 Hours and 45 Minutes
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
1 ½ pounds stew beef, cut into 1 ½ inch cubes
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup frozen pearl onions (onions do not need to be defrosted)
2 cloves garlic, pushed through a press
2 cups red wine (Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon)
1 pound green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 carrot, cut into 1 inch ribbons with a vegetable peeler
2 tablespoons Thick-It-Up
Along with the salt, pepper and paprika, season the stew meat with 1 tablespoon of herbs de Provence, found in the spice section of any well-stocked supermarket. Or use any combination of thyme, chervil, rosemary, summer savory, lavender, tarragon, marjoram, oregano, mint or bay leaf. You can order Thick-It-Up thickner online. Eliminate the carrot and this dish is suitable for Phase 2. This recipe freezes well for up to 3 months in a tightly sealed container.
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- Toss beef with herbs de Provence, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Heat half the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown half the beef; transfer to a bowl. Repeat with remaining oil and beef. Set aside.
- Melt butter in Dutch oven. Add onions; cook 7–8 minutes until onions begin to brown. Add garlic during last 2 minutes of cooking time.
- Add reserved meat and accumulated juices, wine and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil. Cover Dutch oven and place in oven. Cook 2 hours, until beef is tender.
- Add green beans; cook 15 minutes more, just until beans are tender.
- Transfer Dutch oven to stove top over medium-high heat. Add carrot; cook 5 minutes. Stir in thickener; cook 2 minutes more, stirring, until sauce thickens.
- Adjust seasonings to taste and serve immediately.